Sunday 21 March 2010

ICA AtoM

Being freelance I have been wondering how to overcome not being able to afford and use Calm to do archival cataloguing. Reading the recent posts on ICA Atom on the NRA list I thought it would be a good idea to have a further exploration of the actual product.

I have been specifically looking at the installation guide of ICA Atom as a virtual appliance as it would only exist on my old faithful computer.  It started out alright and I was feeling confident that I would be able to understand the process and the screen shots are a god send. But then things started to become a bit trickier, in terms of understanding the instructions. If you look at the page they are simple enough it is go here and do that but i feel that is only half of the problem solved. Now it may be that I am having a particularly bad day as usually I enjoyed installing new gadgets. Although I do now have more sympathy towards those people who set up Calm and other cataloguing systems on their own. How do they do it?!!  I’m sure with a little more time and patience it will go in and I will be up and running in no time.

AG

No comments:

Post a Comment